Linking Singapore and Bangkok, the Eastern & Oriental Express provides a satisfying introduction to four great cultures, as revealed by Singapore’s exciting mix of Chinese, Indian, and Malay architecture and cuisine, and the glittering Thai temples of Bangkok. The mid-journey sightseeing choices include the famed bridge over the River Kwai, a cycle tour to a village, or a culinary tour to a market and an ancient noodle factory. Each are fascinating and well-received already this season.
New in 2018: A much smaller group of guests on board — 82 maximum, a significant drop from the earlier max of 132. All guests enjoy the above-mentioned amazing touring choices, as well as complimentary house wines and well drinks. (Specialty wines, cocktails, and spirits are billable.) Guests in Presidential Suites enjoy a host of new amenities, including complimentary and exclusive in-cabin wi-fi and complimentary private limousine transfers to/from train stations in Singapore & Bangkok. Presidential Suites also include:
– A bottle of champagne and fruit basket in cabin on arrival
– Complimentary mini bar, stocked with a selection of spirits, local beer, soft drinks, and chocolate
– Complimentary on-board clothes pressing service
– Wireless speaker in cabin
This journey is also available in reverse, from Bangkok to Singapore.
“I loved it. It was just an exquisite experience, in every sense of the word. The train was elegant and beautiful, the staff was excellent, the attention to detail was remarkable.”
— Dr. Mardy Ireland, Bangkok-Singapore, 2016
Day 1: Singapore & Kuala Lumpur
Depart Singapore in the afternoon, savoring the fascinating scenery of rural Malaysia, then dress for the evening and enjoy an aperitif as the resident pianist plays in the bar car, before dinner is served. The train then pulls into the magnificent domed station at Kuala Lumpur for a brief stop. Retire to your cabin, which has been transformed into a bedroom by your steward.
Day 2: Kuala Kangsar
Spend the morning enjoying the view and a leisurely breakfast on board. Arrive in Kuala Kangsar, where you disembark and travel by coach to Labu Kabong to discover rural Malaysian life with a warm welcome ceremony from the villagers. You have two touring options today:
1. Take a guided tour through lush rice paddies, ending with refreshments and a chance to sample local produce.
2. Alternatively, advanced trekkers can follow an expert naturalist on an invigorating hill-trek. Long sleeves, pants and suitable footwear are recommended for this option.
Rejoin the train for a refreshing cocktail accompanied by live piano music, followed by a glamorous final dinner on board.
Day 3: Kanchanaburi & Bangkok
This morning alight in Kanchanaburi for your choice of tour:
1. The Classic option includes the River Kwai Bridge and Thai-Burma Railway Museum, to discover the history of the infamous railway built here during World War II.
2. The Tracks to Unseen Thailand option will have you biking through the rice paddies, stopping off at a local farm.
3. The Local Flavors tour option explores the wet market, a rice noodle house and combines a raft cruise with a cooking class.
Return to the train for lunch before the train pulls into Bangkok late afternoon.
2019 Dates:September 2*, 13
October 2, 25
November 1, 14, 23
December 1, 21, 29 (New Year's Journey)
* Select departures will have celebrated international chefs on board serving as hosts. These do not affect the currently-outlined touring.
2020 Dates:January 18, 30
February 8, 17, 26
March 6, 15, 26
April 3, 23
September 6, 14, 29
November 1, 10, 20, 29
December 20, 29 (New Year's Journey)
|2019 & 2020 Pricing
|Pullman Single||From $2,900|
|Pullman Double||From $2,900|
|State Cabin||From $4,250|
|Presidential Suite||From $6,900|
Prices are per person. Deposit required is 15%.
Pricing varies based on availability and date. Prices are subject to change daily. Contact us to confirm pricing and availability for your desired departure.
All rates are per person.
A limited number of cabins without a single supplement are available on this itinerary of the Eastern & Oriental Express.
Please note: The Eastern & Oriental Express travels over rough track in Thailand. If you have back issues or other health issues that would be exacerbated by rough track, you may be more comfortable on a different train. Call or e-mail us to discuss which journey is right for you.
*Special New Year’s Eve Journey: This special 4-day Singapore-Bangkok trip on the E&O is one of Southeast Asia’s best-kept secrets. Tour runs December 29- January 1. Rates for this departure start at $4,155 per person.
EXTEND YOUR TRIP!
The Eastern & Oriental Express now offers itineraries to Chiang Mai, Thailand and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Both trips can be done independently or added to the signature Bangkok-Singapore journey. IRT can arrange train, touring, transfers and posh hotels for a luxurious package. Call for details!
Touring Options: We highly recommend that you select your preferred touring options well in advance of your final payment. Please ask us for more details.