Reason #1: World’s Oldest, Most-Trusted Luxury Rail Travel Agency
A family-owned and operated business for over 33 years, The Society of International Railway Travelers® (IRT) is the world’s most respected luxury rail travel agency.
We publish the “Bible” of world luxury rail travel: “The IRT Society’s Best-Loved Railway Journeys®,” backed up by a website and blog providing the latest luxury rail news. Our list of The World’s Top 25 Trains®, updated annually, is the go-to source for the latest in luxury rail travel worldwide.
We know what we sell. IRT Society owners, staff and writers have traveled millions of miles to experience the world’s luxury trains first-hand.
And because we’ve actually ridden these trains — in most cases multiple times — we can suggest just the right luxury rail trip for you:
- best sleeping compartments
- best dining cars
- best time to travel
- how and what to pack
- what to know about luxury rail etiquette
- how to deal with visas, currency, health issues, and more
Reason #2:Unparalleled Human-to-Human Service
Our personal service is renowned. With IRT you actually communicate with a human who cares about your vacation. We’re your trusted travel advocate.
Emergency assistance. Flight cancelled? Train delayed? You have access to our worldwide, emergency phone service 24/7.
We’re accessible. We answer the phone. If we’re busy, we get back to you ASAP.
Information. We are a font of luxury train knowledge! We tell you what time of year to travel, which visas you’ll need (and when to apply for them), what to pack, what books to read, and much, much more.
VIP treatment. We reconfirm all of your services. We unabashedly beg for complimentary extras and upgrades on your behalf. We personally call each hotel or safari camp before you arrive. We do everything in our power to ensure your VIP treatment.
Why IRT Travelers Love our Services:
“As a former ‘do-it-yourself’ travel planner, I have found IRT Society President Eleanor Hardy’s services to have streamlined and made my trips more efficient, with much richer experiences than I could have ever imagined. She and her team are worth every cent! She is accessible at all times, supportive, but does not waste anyone’s time. Truly a highly trained and practiced professional! She has been there and done that with firsthand experience of the trips she sells and plans.”
-IRT Traveler T. Gournay, Fall 2016, Rovos Rail: African Collage
“I have been fortunate to travel quite a lot during my lifetime. In all respects, IRT Vice President Angela Walker was the very best travel agent we have ever used. She helped us not only plan our trip, but help guide us through the complicated issues of getting visas for the various countries in Central Asia and Russia. Angela was always able to cut through the red tape and get any problem solved. Her good humor and helpful attitude made all of our planning more pleasant. She even had a bottle of champagne delivered to our train compartment before we left Armenia. I would give Angela ten stars as a Virtuoso travel consultant.”
IRT Traveler M. Lane, Fall 2015, Golden Eagle: Caspian Odyssey
Reason #3: Virtuoso Membership
We are members of Virtuoso, the world’s premier luxury and experiential travel network. Virtuoso comprises the top travel agencies and the finest travel suppliers worldwide.
What does that mean for you?
• Special amenities and upgrades in partner hotels and resorts
• Access to the most exclusive sightseeing and travel experiences in the world: tour the Vatican after hours with a private guide, indulge in a romantic safari dinner for two prepared by a private chef in the Maasai Mara, enjoy an unforgettable dawn balloon ride over the Bagan temple complex in Myanmar, and so much more
• The most exciting “off-the-beaten-track” active and adventure travel: walking, biking, and hiking tours, expeditions to remote destinations, safaris
• An unrivaled support network for you provided by our worldwide travel partners, backed by years of established trust and personal relationships. We not only know what we sell – we make it our business to know everyone involved in your travel experience.
Just a few of our partners:
• Rovos Rail
• Golden Eagle Luxury Trains
• Abercrombie & Kent
• Tauck Tours
• Micato Safaris
• Big Five Tours & Expeditions
• Four Seasons Hotels
• Mandarin Oriental Hotels
• Belmond Trains & Cruises
• Belmond Hotels
• International Expeditions
• Lindblad Expeditions
• National Geographic